WHERE ARE THE DEAD?
This bible study uses a Greek and Hebrew Unicode fonts and is printable.
Hebrew Scriptures for נֶפֶשׁ 'nephesh' meaning 'Soul'
Hebrew scriptures for רוּחַ 'ruach' meaning 'Spirit'
Greek Scriptures for ψυχή 'psuche' meaning 'Soul'
Greek scriptures for πνεῦμα 'pneuma' meaning 'Spirit'
- Where are the Dead Index
- #1. THE SPIRIT and SOUL LEAVE the BODY at DEATH
- #1.1 The Soul Gives Life to the Body and Leaves the Body at Death
- #1.2 The Spirit Gives Life to the Body and Leaves the Body at Death
- #2. The UNSAVED DEAD go to 'SHEOL' (OT) or 'HADES' (NT) at DEATH
- #2.1 Old Testament the Unsaved Dead go to 'Sheol'
- #2.2 New Testament the Wicked Dead go to 'Hades'
- 3. The SAVED DEAD go to HEAVEN at DEATH
- #3.1 The Evil-Doer on the Cross went with Jesus to Paradise
- #3.2 The Spirit of Stephen went to Jesus when he Died
- #3.3 Paul Expected to be with Jesus when he Died
- #3.4 The Righteous Dead Under the Altar in Heaven
- #3.5 The Righteous Dead Before the Throne of God in Heaven
- #3.6 The Righteous Dead on the Sea of Glass in Heaven
- #3.7 Moses was Seen by the Apostles after he Died
- #4. SOUL SLEEP REFUTED
- Introduction 4
- #4.1 Sleep is Figurative of Dead Bodies
- #4.2 'The Dead' is Usually used of Dead Bodies
- #4.2 David slept with his Fathers
- #4.3 The Soul that sins, it shall die
- #4.4 I have not yet Ascended to my Father
- #4.5 The Dead Know Nothing
- #4.6 The dead do not praise the LORD
- #5. QUESTIONS and ANSWERS for 'WHERE are the DEAD?'
- #5.1 Today you will be with me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)
- #5.2 The Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16) is not a Parable
What is death? There are four kinds of biblical death; physical death, spiritual death, the death of our 'old man', and the second death. Death is a
separation from life. In the case of physical death the body is separated from the spirit (James 2:26) or soul (Genesis 35:18-19), which gives it life, and in the case of spiritual death a
person is separated from spiritual life, which is imparted to us by the spirit of Jesus Christ being in us. If a man does not have the spirit of Christ, or lives in
sin, he may be physically alive but spiritually dead, even as he scripture speaks of being "dead in trespasses and sins," (Ephesians 2:1). The death of our
'old man' refers to the death of self and sin in our lives (Romans 6:6-7), and the 'second death' refers to 'the lake of fire' (or Gehenna in Greek) which is
where all unbelievers will go after judgment (Revelation 20:14-15).
When we ask the question, "Where are the dead?" We are not referring to Gehenna or "the Lake of Fire" as that refers to something future. We are asking the question, "Where are the dead now?" or "What happens to people when they die?" To answer these questions we really need to get a good understanding of the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words for spirit and soul. The scriptural evidence is that the spirit and the immaterial part of the soul are separate entities from the body when a person is dead, but are necessary to be in it for it to function as a living being when it is alive. This bible study explains what happens when people die and where the dead are now.
If you have benefited from reading this study, then please tell your friends about this website.
If you have a website of your own, then please consider linking to this website. See the Website Links page.
Please copy and paste this link into Facebook and Twitter to all your friends who would like to know, 'Where are the dead?'.